Friday, September 23, 2005

Setting My (Bloggish) Intentions

I've started this blog for two reasons:

Reason 1. I'm simply fascinated at the phenomenon of blogging itself.

As most wannabe bloggers must have done, I have read the blogs of others, sometimes amused, sometimes bored out of my skull, sometimes incensed, sometimes rolling my eyes until my sockets cannot bear another moment of aerobic exercise. I've considered starting a blog since they first hit the scene, but the following thoughts seemed to emerge every time I actually moved into action:

A. "So what! So I believe I have another thought to publish on the web! I highly doubt that it could possibly be unique or original.", followed by:

B. "Fuck, that seems like a huge responsibility! I mean, if I start one, I'll have to post to it, and if I don't post to it, every one who reads it will know exactly how many hours, days, weeks, or months it has been since I got around to the very important task of disseminating my very important thoughts to the world wide web." (Which, of course, always cycled me back to thought A., by way of a personal ego-chastisement.)

Despite this hamster-wheel process of consideration, I continued to spot-check certain of my favorite blogs, and have found (along with the dreck) a great deal of insightful and funny (my favorite part) ramblings from amateurs and professionals alike.

And as I said, I find the phenomenon itself fascinating -- potentially revolutionary for our species, and spiritually fitting for me at a personal level -- because, try as I have to adopt some kind of crusty, toughened view of my fellow humans -- I actually still do believe in the innate value of all beings.

It's my belief that the beauty of the universe is fueled directly by the amazing diversity within it -- and if that belief is founded in reality, I must also accept the innate value of what occurs inside of, and emerges from, every one of those diverse beings.

Sure, this is one of those "Easy-to-Say/Hard-to-Do" spiritual assignments (holding everything as innately valuable). Like "unconditional love" (which I'm not sure I believe in -- but more on that in another post, maybe).

However, on the whole, in my blog-reading experience, I actually have more often been uplifted and enhanced than bummed-out and deflated. Which supports my personal theory that this Universe was designed for, and is intent upon, expansion, and that the net cumulative effect of any number of seemingly random acts tends to be ultimately additive rather than detractive.

That's my fascination with the phenomenon of blogging and its potential as a human connectivity tool (Reason #1, remember? -- I know, I know, that was many, many lines ago.).

Reason #2: I recently received an email from someone who was starting a blog, and it led me to a whole new commitment to using this format responsibly.

I happen to personally hold this person in high regard -- okay now, I mean HIGH REGARD, (All Bold Caps and if I could underline it, I would do that, too) -- in terms of their eloquence, writing skills, sheer intellectual force, and perspicacity. When I visited their blog, I was saddened to find that this individual seemed to be very wrapped up in the doom-and-gloom news of the day.

I found that all the same factors that lead me to hold this person at a high level of respect and admiration -- now posed somewhat of a challenge for me.

Let me explain:

When someone like Peter Jennings yammers away about something doom-and-gloomish on TV, I find that I have somehow created a great little counter-voice in my head that keeps up a nice, but subtle, little pep-talk running neatly alongside the media schpilkis: "Now remember that he's really an actor. All of this is engineered. The footage you are watching may, or may not, be of the actual event being reported. The film may, or may not, have been digitally altered . . . etc., etc." (Just like my old gymanstics coach who used to chant softly in a calm, soothing voice from the edge of the mat, barely audible over the music of my floor-ex routine " . . . . and prepare, and prepare, and round-off into the back-handspring . . . ").

So, I think I've got the media-immunity thing down.

I can read/hear/see mass media, while effortlessly and simultaneously experiencing the sting of the huge grains of salt I'm taking along with it, and I neither plummet into despair nor discount it in its entirety. I don't necessarily respect the reporters, the writers, or the agencies providing the "news" (And as I use that word, "news", I meet my first true blogging dillema --I don't know how, yet, to create a print format technique which indicates massive, over-the-top, dripping sarcasm -- couldn't someone invent an emoticon for this?). But, I digress . . . .

As I was reading the blogged thoughts of someone who I perceive as on-the-ball, self-aware, good-humored, and well-balanced, I became aware of just how dangerous a potent mind and facile pen might be -- the sheer force of their skill in articulating their thoughts, coupled with my existing respect for them and their choice to express a viewpoint that I basically perceived as "everything pretty much sucks", seemed to conjure up an internal questioning I had not faced in a long while.

I found myself wondering: " Gee, Is the world really going to shit? Is my optimism about the evolution and transformation of the human race simply a form of advanced lunacy?!"

I turned off my computer late that night, feeling a bit shakey, but still, somehow certain at my core that "Seemingly-Unreasonable-Hopefulness (Sans-Pollyannishness)" is not, in fact, a sign of intellectual decay.

After all, in my nearly fifty years holding a profound belief in the existence of God, I have, on the rare occasion, had one of those terrifying moments where this nasty little nano-thought flashed through my head, "What if I'm wrong? What if my existence is just a random blip and means nothing?"

On those occasions, I had generally just taken a deep breath, looked around at the amazing organization/order/beauty of the Universe and simply said: "Naaaah".

However, on this occasion of momentary doubt about the goodness and beauty of it all, I found myself moved to action.

In the case of God's existence or lack therof, there really isn't much I can do.

On the other hand, in the matter of a potent communication form (a blog which could possibly be read by hundreds of thousands of human beings worldwide) and whether it will be used to carp about how awful things are vs. how amazing things are, there is something I can do -- which leads me to:

My Initial Intentions for this Blog

  1. I will strive be an antidote to the poisoning of pessimism, hopelessness, and despair.
  2. I will strive to be absolutely authentic to, and revealing of, my core self in my writing on this blog.
  3. In choosing what to include and what not to include, I will consider what I need and want to express/communicate, rather than how or if others might respond/react.
  4. If I am including information that is externally based (from other websites, etc., I will state clearly my level of confidence in the veracity of the information, based on my own experience and research). Repeat after me: "I will not spread sensational rumors. I will not spread sensational rumors."
  5. I will take absolute responsibility for every word I write here.
I may add other intentions as time goes by.

If you're wondering about the blog's title -- I have, from time to time, had the habit of overusing all of the following phrases: "This is the thing . . . " "Here's the thing . . . . " and even "The thing of the thing is . . . . ". Thought I'd put my best foot forward and take a little good-natured ribbing from myself.

Hope you enjoy it. I'll be posting.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol,

More, please!

I join with you in choosing to be optimistic, and I thank you for taking the time to share your gifts of expression and humor.

I sincerely believe that the ability to seek out that which I have appreciation for improves the quality of my life.

I know it to be true. I have been exercising this muscle a lot this past year. Practicing shifting my thoughts to that which feels good to me.

I had some confusion early on, wondering about all the things that need change. Who is going to act on it or speak up?? How will it change if we don't???

I have come to the place where I know that the most positve thing I can think of, especially appreciation, is where I want to focus to make that change. I choose to give my energy, through my focus, to that which I desire. Magnify that!

When shifting from thoughts of lack or fear to thoughts that are positive in nature, I feel the difference so clearly in my body that there is no question which is better for my health and well be-ing.

Thank you for sharing so much more of who you are, the ever expanding being we know as Carol.
Thank you for the stimulating thoughts and the wonderful story!

More please!

Namaste,
Cynthia

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY Carol!
I really enjoyed reading your personal thoughts, I miss our friendship since we moved back east. Anyway I think Optimism is the only way to survive in these wacky, shifting times. My dad just put out a new book called NO SOUL LEFT BEHIND. Its Cayce's material an "interview" format that is really easy to read (finally!) anyway the thing Cayce said that sticks with me all the time now, is that "Worry is the opposite of Prayer..." and his core idea that MIND IS THE BUILDER. I think that is the most important idea one must grasp to actualize one's dreams..the starting point is always in our mind, our imagination, and those dreams must become ideals, hopes, and wishes, our magical agenda, that becomes our future.
also
Please check out the cd by Mavis Staples, Have a Little Hope...this lady sings her heart...you will love her...
ok, see ya soon love peace & posies
elizabeth morgana moonbeam

6:47 AM  
Blogger Kymberlee said...

I am Pollyannaish in nature and wear it proudly. I love reading bits by people like you as way to keep myself grounded in reality but not immersed in negativity.

I met you on a Society meeting once and appreciated Carol as much as Carruch so this forum is wonderful.

I look forward to more...

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging - the desire to spend pages and pages talking of yourself and your own perspectives on life, the universe, and everything. It encourages everybody to do the same.
Ive been searching for a way to channel my personal writings outwards and share them with the public (make a zine? graffitti?) that actually feels like it will end up in the hands of those that would utilize it in the way i intended for it to be utilized... but you're right. You can only express, and let the ripples be what they are.
Im over here, finding lots of synchronicities over there, which makes the line between over here and over there start to blur. :) The timing of this fits with my story very well.
Can i pose a question? (Ive posed two already)
Is being positive really the only positive way to be positive? (heh) Don't we need the sorrow and the sadness? Whether or not we choose to be sucked down and trampled on by them is a different matter...Every time i have left the rainy season, I feel a voice reminding me that the very reason it was so hellish, was the fact that i had forgotten about the importance of it. I had resisted resisting. It must rain, it must snow. It must become dark and ominous, or i wouldnt know the light. A plant reaching only upwards has no roots.
Any thoughts?

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Subscribe to my blog
by email or RSS
Visit my site for Instructions

Subscribe right now by visiting
Google Groups (Email Subscription)
OR add me to your RSS Feed.