Friday, June 09, 2006

Apologies, Again

I've been bad. Very bad. Very very bad about blogging.

It's not that I don't have anything to say. Quite the opposite, as my posts must indicate.

I think I've actually got an aversion to brevity -- like, I think if I can't write more than a few lines, I shouldn't write anything at all.

Plus, my mind has been elsewhere.

I just put up a survey as part of my annual "birthday special". I think that I was thinking that this would just be a quick thing.

Okay, so I'm not so realistic, sometimes.

I just wanted some feedback. I searched around on the internet for software, thought about doing it myself on my website, etc.. Finally, I found this survey site that could provide me with what I wanted for $20, and I started constructing the beast.

It wasn't a quickie.

First, I had to think about what I actually wanted to know from people.

Then, I had to think about how to ask the questions I wanted answers to in ways that were actually likely to get the information I wanted.

I have a new-found respect for survey-makers. I bow down.

It took me a week to put it together and mail out the link to 659 people. Afterward, I had a five minute relief period where I thought to myself "There! That's done!"

When the first response rolled in within five minutes, I thought "Oh My God! What have I done!?"

So, I've been reading responses, digesting suggestions, assimilating assessments.

I have a new-found respect for data analysts. I bow down.

As of midnight 6/8, I've gotten 49 responses. Some of the feedback has been surprising, interesting, and enlightening. I'm glad I did it.

But apparently I forgot that I sent this to 659 people.

Some of whom do not know how to actually use their computers.

So, in addition to reading responses to the survey, I've responded to emails from people who have never used their computer for such a purpose, and who don't intuitively grok that they have to hit the "next" button at the bottom of each page to move forward to the next series of questions.

I have a new-found respect for technical helpers. I bow down.

And to people who actually get it together to post to their blog every day. I bow down.

No, I mean I really bow down.

You'll hear from me tomorrow. No, really, you will -- hey! Hey! Where are you going?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home





Subscribe to my blog
by email or RSS
Visit my site for Instructions

Subscribe right now by visiting
Google Groups (Email Subscription)
OR add me to your RSS Feed.